Friday 22 April 2011

ISS Excitement

Today has been a reasonably decent day however I'm not planning on writing about that. Oh no. I have something much more interesting and exciting to write about! I saw the ISS for the first time EVER tonight! I actually can't believe how excited I am! Always wanted to see it but never been able to usually looking in the wrong place, time or not knowing.

I got the heads up on Twitter from the florist next door but one, Julian and his hubby Shaun. I was told what time to look and where to look in the sky (towards the Obelisk from my back yard at around 9:50) I went outside early so I wouldn't miss it, plus was advised to go out eary to get my eyes used to the dark. At first I was worried I wouldn't see it for the stupid street lamps in the way. I shaded my eyes from the glaring light of the lamp and looked up. There it was!!!! Really high up and really bright! I actually said "Oh My God...it's there!" though I'm not sure who to as there was only me present (Alan at work on nights) and bump...and the cat. I did actually tell the cat what we were outside for, I hope the neighbours didn't hear and think I'm mad! I stayed outside until I couldn't really see it anymore and then came back inside to let the whole of twitter - my massive TWENTY EIGHT followers (makes the number look bigger if written in word form)know.

It sparked talks off between myself, Julian, Shaun and Jayne on Twitter. I can't believe there are people in there! I couldn't think of the correct word so called them SPACE PEOPLE (after comparing myself to Buzz Lightyear)...anyway I meant astronauts! Turns out there's also COSMONAUTS! They're the Russians! It's mind boggling (especially for a pregnant me with serious baby brain!) but it's sooo interesting! I've sat on the internet for ages researching the ISS and some of the astronauts/cosmonauts are actually on Twitter. From WAY up there! It's mad! They even post pictures! It's amazing!

I'm excited because its the first time I have ever seen this and I love it! It's sooo far away and so surreal. I can't get my head around it all. Nice to know that all four of us on Twitter (and presumably hundreds more) were looking at it, at the same time, in awe appreciating it. It's a humbling feeling. A bit fuzzy and squishy! I'm really happy. I've text Alan to tell him and facebooked it. No one (apart from the guys on Twitter) knew what it was. I felt pretty cool telling them what it is. Can't wait to see it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment