Wednesday 21 September 2011

Hard Times Ahead

It's not even 5:30am and not only am I up but I'm blogging too! Not sure if that's dedication or just plain crackers! Either way I'm up and although I'm knackered from lack of sleep for the last week I'm wide awake. I'm not sure who feels worse this morning, Alfie or me. Saying that, Alfie is finally on his way back to sleep bless him.

Alfie is almost 4 months old and at this age some babies go through what is known as the four month sleep regression/ growth spurt/ developmental leap; all of which cause havoc with baby. I didn't actually know this until I asked for advice on why Alfie has suddenly become a baby who can only sleep a max of 2 hours at night. I was directed to a few websites and books for reference to help me understand this "milestone" in his development.

When you think about it, a baby has a lot to think about, learn and a lot of growing physically and mentally hence the developmental leap/ growth spurt/ sleep regression. Knowing this kind of helps me handle the days when Alfie is so tired but can't shut off so all he can do is cry. It's hard work having a baby cry almost constantly and inconsolably for hours. You're knackered from the lack of sleep you're both getting but your emotions are running high too.

For the last few days sleeping, eating and daily tasks have been a distant memory for me. Starting the day with less than 2 hours straight kip under your belt is hard work. Alfie has been so difficult to comfort; cuddles, feeding, walking in the pram, baby wearing and everything in-between doesn't work. He's also feeding more - but that's pretty self explanatory being a growing baby and all.

These developmental leaps and growth spurts happen at regular intervals in a babies life - so mummies if you weren't aware of this, prepare yourselves! I'm not sure how long this will last, I suppose all babies are different. I hope it's soon for Alfies sake I can't imagine not being able to switch off to rest is very easy or fun. Poor baby.

In other news, my backside is causing me serious problems and I'd say I'm on the verge of depression with it all. I'm not coping with the pain at all and the fear of going to the loo is ridiculous. I spent last night in sheer agony again and I had to wait an hour before going back to bed because I was crying so hard I didn't want to wake Alfie or hubby. I then spent the remainder of the night with broken sleep because of the agony that follows having a BM (bowel movement). I was half tempted to call the NHS direct and the only thing that stopped me was fear of Alfie waking up mid phone call as hubby is on days and leaves for work at 4:45am.

I've taken paracetamol though it's not even touched the pain. I've read information on anal fissures and treatment for them. I've winced and doubled up in pain at passing wind. I'm exhausted with it all. I have almost finished the tube of cream I was prescribed and I've drained the bottle of lactulose, for all the good it did me. I've vowed to make myself an emergency appointment when hubby gets in from work. I'm going to tell the doctor just how badly this is affecting my life. Alfie is asleep now and I should be sleeping too but can't because of the pain. Daily tasks just aren't possible when I'm in this amount of pain. I'd rather go through child birth again.

It's been almost four months I've been suffering now, surely something else can be done now it's obvious the cream and stool softeners aren't doing anything. What with Alfies sleeping troubles and my "pain in the arse" (words of the bastard insensitive doctor making a joke of my suffering!) I can see hard times ahead. I'll let you know how I get on at my appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment