Tuesday 27 September 2011

Alfie's Welcome to the World Party

Before Alfie was born we had already decided that we didn’t want to have him christened considering neither of us are in any way religious.  I didn’t want to hold a naming ceremony either because it just seemed too formal.  I still wanted to have a party or gathering of some kind and so came up with the idea of a Welcome to the World party.  It had everything I wanted out of a celebration, friends, family and a big hoo har all about Alfie.

Alfie’s Welcome to the World party was Sunday 25th September and although it was a simple, no fuss party I still put a lot of thought into the whole occasion.  Friday, we went and bought Alfie’s outfit from Mammas and Pappas and went to Hobby Craft to get a few bits for me to make his memory scrap book.  Saturday, we had to exchange the outfit we bought because it had been on the wrong size hanger so we’d bought the wrong size!  I’d had my dress for well over a month – a very expensive French Connection dress – I don’t normally spend a lot on clothes but I fell in love with this dress and the occasion called for something special.  Alan, much to his disgust wore a shirt and trousers (he’s more of a shorts and t-shit man)

First thing on Sunday morning we picked Alan’s younger sister up and went through to his nan’s.  She’s been in and out of hospital and on deaths door for years bless her, she’s only recently come out of hospital after yet another massive heart attack – she’s a strong old bird bless her.  Sunday was the first time she’d ever met Alfie and she’d saved up all her energy and barely spoke for two days just so she would have the energy to talk to him.  Luckily Alfie was on his best behaviour and he smiled and laughed in all the right places – Rita [Alan’s nan] was besotted with Alfie and completely over the moon she finally got to meet him.  She wasn’t well enough to come to the party but had bought a card and put in some money, bless her.  She kept telling me how beautiful Alfie is and that he’s a credit to me and that I’m a really good mum.  This coming from a woman with 9 children, made my day.

When we got home, the race was on to make sure all three of us were ready to leave the house for 1:30PM as the party started at 2.  I finished the pages of Alfie’s memory/scrap book we were taking with us and spruced myself up best I could.  Then Alan got ready – changed and a bit of aftershave and he was done!  That left Alfie – the real challenge!  Changing a sleeping baby is no fun at the best of times but especially when you’re in a rush.  We had to change him at the last minute because of how sick he is – he’d ruin his Mamas and Papas outfit and I just wasn’t cool with that, not until everyone had seen him in it anyway!  We were ready and headed off to the party! 
Mummy & Alfie

Daddy & Alfie

Our guests arrived slowly but surely and Alan was the perfect host with Alfie while I did a few last minute “bits”.  In Alfie’s memory book I had the idea of doing his handprint and then having everyone else leave their fingerprint and sign their names underneath – better than a guestbook or just a load of signatures on a page I thought.  I was really unsure people would take part I mean some people are a little OCD about mess [my mum] and inky fingers although I left baby wipes may not have been cool for some people.  I was so pleased at the end of the day that everyone, including my mum had left their print!  The finished product looks beautiful – I’m thinking of getting it framed rather than leaving it in a book!
Alfie's fingerprint guestbook



Alfie was so well behaved despite being tired and he actually went to sleep even with all the hustle and bustle around him!  The food seemed to be a hit with the guests and the cake was an even bigger hit!  I ordered the cake over a month ago and the only stipulation I gave Abbie was that I didn’t want it traditional christening cake looking and I wanted it colourful.  Oh boy she filled my expectations and more, it was divine!  There were cupcakes [or as most of us on the “Twitter” table called them BUNS] and cake pops – cakes on lollipop sticks!  The top tier was cute and my favourite flavour – white chocolate and raspberry!  If you’re in the South Yorkshire area and need a cake, I can highly recommend Butterflies and Angels at Bolton on Dearne.  They were professional, friendly and extremely talented – can’t wait for Alfie’s first birthday to book his next cake in!
Alfie's cake


Whilst Alfie was fast a kip, the party was in full swing and I made the executive decision to have my very first alcoholic drink in over a year!  Batman, my BFFL [best friend for life] bought me a white wine spritzer – because she wanted to chat the barmaid up in hopes of getting a job! Trollop!  I was then bought another by Adele, then Julian and then Batman again.  I stopped at four white wine spritzers and I was pretty tipsy by this point!  Boy did I let my hair down!  I expected the hangover from HELL on Monday but it never came…that means I must do it again! 

Alfie fast a kip whilst the party went on!

Gradually our guests left the party and although we only had the room until 6pm Alan, Alfie, Batman and I didn’t actually leave until 7pm.  We gathered up the left over cake pops and cake and the hundreds of cards and presents for Alfie and headed off.  It was the nicest, informal, non-christening ever!  I think it’s safe to say our guests enjoyed themselves and there were no tears from any of the kiddies – even though my almost 2 year old nephew decked it on the floor outside!  Everyone had fun, me especially with my four white wine spritzers!  I also left feeling pretty good that everyone commented on my new red hair – thankfully it doesn’t look a twat!

Before I sign this blog off for posting, I would just like to thank my wonderful friend Jayne for all her help with Alfie’s Welcome to the World party – not only did she design the most beautiful, bespoke invitations for us and the fingerprint sign but she also supported me through feeling insecure and a little on edge and I couldn’t have done it without her.  I would also like to thank my gorgeous husband who paid for the lot [and it wasn’t cheap, let me tell you] and even though he doesn’t read my blog I am extremely grateful to him for just being him the whole day.  Would also like to thank the other Barnsley Tweeters that came: Shaun, Julian, Ken and Adele – together with Jayne  and Batman they made for lots of fun and laughter, it was fun!  And last but certainly not least I want to thank my gorgeous little man Alfie for being such a good little boy all day – mummy and daddy love you so much baby boy!
The Barnsley Twitter table - Ken was at the bar - piss 'ead!

1 comment:

  1. Amy you are a good mummy! And the party was great! x

    ReplyDelete