Wednesday 6 July 2011

A quickie before a pumping session...


Go on then, I’ll spoil you with another blog post for today. I should actually be washing the pots, sterilising the bottles and expressing some milk with my new gadget (more on that shortly) but the pots aren’t going anywhere, we have plenty of clean sterilised bottles and I expressed just short of an hour ago so no rush. Anyway, Alan’s home from work now so he can do the first two don’t think he’d cope with the third somehow. Alan’s sorting Alfie out with a clean nappy and the fourth clothes change today (sick-y clothes) and trying to keep him settled until he’s allowed his next feed at 11pm the very earliest.

We’ve had an average day, stayed in because it’s rained on and off all day. Alfie doesn’t like this every 3-4 hour malarkey at all. He was fine this morning but when Wendy came he would not sleep and he wanted feeding again after an hour. He cried and cried and I wasn’t far off joining him. I don’t agree with leaving babies to cry, I think its pretty mean and selfish. Babies cry for a reason, its their way of communicating to us whether they want feeding, a cuddle, nappy changed, to be left alone or whatever else. I tried all of the above and a few more except feeding him. He was not a happy bunny. Well, I tell a lie he was fine for about 30 minutes and that was because I stripped him off completely nappy and all and laid him on his changing mat. He quite likes this nuddy business and he’ll happily lay and kick his legs about and talk to himself. I gave in at 2 hours and 45 minutes and fed him. What’s 15 minutes between friends!?

Wendy couldn’t believe just how much he throws up and how uncomfortable he is when feeding. You have to see it to believe it I think but believe you me, it’s pretty bad. Put it this way, I’ve had to change twice today because he’s wet me through with sick. It’s so hard to watch him struggle and I feel terrible but aside from doing what the doctors say: continue with meds and reduce his feeds and space them out more there isn’t much else I can do aside from try my very best to comfort him. Tomorrow, if I can settle Alfie I’m going to post a blog about reflux both from research and personal points of view. Before Alfie was born and before he was diagnosed I’d never heard of reflux or how bad it can be for families with reflux babies. If just one person reads my blog and is a little more educated about reflux, I’ll be happy. And I know I have at least TWO readers both of whom are very close friends of mine. So, if you’re reading this and you aren’t Jayne or Adele thank you for reading and please spread the word – my writing isn’t anything special but it’s honest and open and I’m talking from a new mummy perspective and the only experience I have is what I have on the day it happens. I may not have 6 kids and know everything there is to know about babies or pregnancy or birth but my experiences are first hand and I won’t omit any of the gory details.

So, day 4 of the restarting breastfeeding and my link worker called up today with an electric pump for me to loan for 6 weeks. The agreement is 6 weeks but should I need it after this 6 weeks, she’ll arrange it for me. Hire of these pumps is not based on a first come, first served but a priority basis which I think is fantastic. I’ve been classed as “high” priority because I’m trying to re start breastfeeding, promote milk production and I’ve stuck at it since coming out of hospital. Yes Alfie is 5 weeks old (almost 6 – jesus where does the time go?!) and that might seem to some people like I’m not trying hard enough or I’m failing but they’d be WRONG. Breastfeeding a baby is demanding enough but trying to restart breastfeeding a baby who is fussy when being fed and extremely hard to settle after a feed is even harder let me tell you. I’m no superstar and I’m no expert I’m just trying to do my best for my baby – in my opinion, no one elses. So the pump is a Medla Lactina Electric Plus and it’s a double pump. It’s massive and isn’t exactly glamourous but it does the job and it does it well. I’ve used it twice and while I haven’t managed a bucket full of milk I’ve managed to get something off. After this post, I plan to have another go with it. Not only is it quiet and effective but it’s surprisingly comfortable – and FREE! Seriously, if you’re considering expressing milk speak with a breastfeeding link worker or Surestart in your area and ask about hiring one because they tend to be better than the shop bought ones and a hell of a lot cheaper!
So, this is my pump and my best mate for the next 6 weeks. Every spare moment I get, I’m getting this bad boy out for a good old sesh! Wish me luck!

So tomorrow’s post, all being well if I can settle Alfie will be dedicated to REFLUX. Read it, you might learn something you never knew or it might just pass a bit of time while you’re boiling the kettle!

Night all x

No comments:

Post a Comment