Wednesday 6 July 2011

Nobody tells you these things...

I’m typing this in the middle of doing housework, eating breakfast, planning Alfie’s outfit, thinking about Alfie’s “none christening” (all will be revealed) AND brainstorming for my next blog. Alfie is asleep for the moment so I’m getting a post in while I can. I have my friend Wendy and her baby boy Oliver over this morning. I met Wendy when I was 6 weeks pregnant and she was 12 in hospital. We were admitted on the same day with Hypermesis Gravidarum (severe sickness) and we were discharged the same day! It’s the first time we’ve seen each other since having our little ones although we’re always texting or messaging on facebook comparing notes or having the odd moan! Nobody tells you how lonely it can get being a new mummy when your husband/partner works.

Today we are on day 3 of re starting breastfeeding and yesterday was extremely unsuccessful. I’m not disheartened though I’m keeping at it! I have the breastfeeding link worker coming to see me at some point today. She’s going to see if she can get hold of a double pump for me to loan so I can at least express milk…at the moment I have a hand pump which is extremely time consuming! I do have a single electric pump but I can’t seem to get on with it, it seems better to use when your boobs are full and at the moment mine aren’t. Nobody tells you how hard it is, they just bang on about how NATURAL it is.

Yesterday we went to hospital to see the consultant about Alfie’s reflux/sickness problem. He was sick over 4 times in the doctors’ office alone and another 2 times in the nurses’ office when he was being weighed and measured. The doctor told us it is a very severe case of reflux which is why he’s on so much medication at the moment and it can only be reduced once his sickness reduces. That reminds me…I need more of the Rinitadine soon! *makes note to call doctor*… He also observed Alfie’s weight gain. He is a big baby and I was concerned over his weight gain but the health visitors and the doctors all told me everything was fine but now they are telling me perhaps he is feeding too much! I can’t bloody win! First they tell me to carry on with what I’m doing because he’s thriving well, now they tell me I need to alter everything because he’s gaining weight too quickly. I feel terrible but the doctor did reassure me that Alfie will ACT and SEEM as if he is hungry with ALL the signs of hunger (tongue lashing, suckling hand, routing etc…) because when babies tummies hurt especially with reflux it hurts LESS when they feed but it’s a vicious circle because this then makes it hurt more so they need to feed more.

We, the doctor and I worked out the amount Alfie can have in 24 hours and we need to make him go at least 3 hours between each feed, ideally 4. At night this isn’t so hard because he does 4-5 hours on his own but during the day and before bed he wants to feed every 2 hours at times (sometimes he does go 3-4 hours). This is proving to be a challenge because both Alfie and I are used to demand feeding. This morning he fed at 3.28AM and woke at 5 wanting feeding again. It took me AGES to get him to settle, I tried everything and more eventually he settled and slept until 6 when Alan got home from his night shift. Alfie was laid fine for all of 5 minutes before he was chewing his hand and crying! We managed to get to 6:31…3 hours and 3 minutes since his last feed. I’ve downloaded an app for my iphone which records the time on each breast, the ml he has in a bottle and the amount I express. It works out averages for you and everything is to hand at all times. I was writing it down but it’s not convenient writing and feeding a baby at the same time. I highly recommend apps for pregnancy, labour (contraction timer) and baby feed record.
As it stands as I type this, Alfie has gone 3 hours. I’m hoping he can make it to 4 hours just to see if it does help him in anyway. We’re back at the hospital in 2 weeks time for review. I’m dreading it and looking forward to it. I just want my baby to feel better and I’ll try anything and everything they can advise. We are also being re referred for the scan of his tummy and they’ll keep doing it until they can get a clear scan. Nobody tells you these things about having a baby!

Last night, my friend Adele (@Bluelightsphoto on Twitter) came over because her other half was having a lads night and Alan was at work so we decided it was time for a catch up. We do have a lot to catch up on what with me having a new baby and Adele and her fella getting their first house together. It’s exciting but busy times for us both. The other reason Adele came over is because she is helping me with a very important (to me anyway) blog post that I’m planning in the next couple of weeks. It will be titled Pregnancy, Birth & Motherhood: The Ugly Beautiful Truth. I’m really excited to write it and even more excited for people to read it. I’m hoping a few people give me a chance and actually sit down and read it. I’m not one for bragging or bigging myself up but for this post, I’ll be tweeting, facebooking and whatever else asking people to read it. Personally, I think it’s an important blog to write and to my knowledge it is rarely touched upon.

On another note, might be taking Alfie swimming tomorrow if I can get to Cortonwood (shopping place) in time to get my new swimming cossy changed! I bought a size 8 but it doesn’t fit! I suppose I was wishful thinking! It’s a lovely hot pink, tummy control alter neck number…think the special K advert but nicer! Anyway, I suppose I ought to get off my backside and finish the housework before Wendy gets here otherwise the poor lass won’t have anywhere to sit as my washing is currently on the “guest sofa” and looking out of the window now, doesn’t look like it’s going on the line because it’s pissing it down! Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment