Sunday 3 July 2011

One July Weekend

This weekend, despite baby Alfie not being 100% well (see previous post) has been bloody wonderful and I’m not just talking about the very rare but very welcome glorious weather! It has been Alan’s first full weekend off from work since he went back from paternity leave now, that might not have been many moons ago but still a welcome break for him and certainly lovely company for Alfie and I.

We trusted the weather man this weekend and he came through for us for once! The forecast for the weekend has been sunny and everyone has been planning BBQ’s, days out and days in the garden. Alan and I had discussed going away for the day to the Peak District (one of our favourite, special places) regardless of the weather conditions but when we knew the weather was going to be good, it made even more sense to get ourselves out! Friday, I went and bought baby sun lotion for Alfie – I have a poorly baby as it is I certainly don’t want a sunburnt, unhappy baby!

[SATURDAY]
In the morning whilst I bathed, fed and dressed Alfie as well as getting his things together for the day, Alan nipped to Tesco for picnic supplies. He returned whilst I was feeding our little man and boy was he armed with supplies! We had REAL ham – none of that plastic shite if you please! We had my favourite crisps – MONSTER MUNCH (beef flavour for those who are interested!), Rocky Robins, KitKats and Drifters, Cheese string, Flavoured water and other such nibbles. Note the three different chocolate bars? Well, Alan took over feeding Alfie whilst I prepared our picnic I packed x3 KitKats each, x2 Rocky Robins each and x2 Drifters each and guess what…we didn’t eat any of them!

Alan and I had already planned to go to Ladybower on Saturday; it’s one of Alan’s favourite places because it’s so beautiful and holds a lot of history. We set off armed with picnic, baby stuff, bottles and the camera. Alfie slept the whole way there which is good considering Alan thought he’d try a new route and ended up going MILES out of the way by accident. Idiot. Alfie was still asleep when we got to Ladybower which was HEAVING by the way. Bloody fair weather visitors, I remember when Alan and I visited a couple of years ago when it was COVERED in snow. Anyway, I digress… So we got there, parked up, put Alfie in his pram and away we went. I started pushing Alfie but it’s hungry work pushing a pram over rough terrain don’t ya know so I handed the steering over to Alan whilst I tucked into my half of the picnic. Now I know picnics are usually laid out on a blanket on some grass all romantical like but with a 4 (almost 5) week old baby in the middle of summer with little shade, this isn’t really practical so I walked and ate.

We saw plenty of mountain bikers, walkers and families enjoying the sun – we even saw a few photographers taking advantage of not only the beautiful weather but the stunning surroundings (seriously, if you’ve never been…you really should go). We never set off with the intention of walking the WHOLE way around because all in all it’s 26 miles, again with a baby not entirely practical. Well, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!!! Alfie woke up for his feed, so Alan carried and fed him whilst I pushed the pram. We were what felt like half way around when we decided to turn back. Alfie wouldn’t settle which I’m guessing was a combination of him not feeling well and the weather. I tried playing him soothing music (downloaded Baby Mozart) which worked for about 15 minutes before he became increasingly unsettled. In the end I ended up carrying him and he stopped crying immediately. Think he just wanted some mummy cuddles. Total mummy’s boy my Alfie but I wouldn’t have it any other way. He’s not allowed to “man up” until he’s 30. So there. Being a new mummy, I have to admit a mistake I made when packing for our day out: I forgot a jacket, a blanket and some socks for Alfie. Luckily the weather was very warm so there wasn’t much need for any of these until we got back to the Information point which is all completely shaded by trees so it was a little chilly! Mummy mistake learnt from!
At the Information point where Alan finished the rest of his sarnies (he ate his after me) and gave the ducks his crusts – he doesn’t need to eat crusts he’s already got a hairy chest. We wanted to buy something for Alfie’s memory box so Alan went into the gift shop whilst I cuddled Alfie on a bench in the shade (gift shop not pram friendly you see). He came back with a sew on badge and a walking stick badge. Sounds daft getting a walking stick badge but it’s something Alan’s grandfather collected so it meant something to him. We got in the car and Alfie started crying. I hate it when this happens but as much I would have liked Alan to pull over so I could take Alfie out and cuddle him better it’s not ideal driving around with very few places to pull over and park. Alan drove around and after 5-10 minutes Alfie settled down and drifted off to baby sleep land.

After Alfie was settled, we decided to drive through to Castleton. We both love Castleton, we have gone every year at Christmas time almost every weekend Alan’s had off, we stayed there on our second New Years Eve of being together and on our second Valentine’s Day together we went for a long weekend with my friend Adele (@bluelightsphoto on Twitter). We visit quite often and are practically regulars at The Bulls Head! We have also stayed in Ye Olde Nags Head for the first part of our Honeymoon in November 2010 (recommend the food and accommodation here – very luxurious and very reasonably priced) Again, I digress!! On our way to Castleton we noticed signs for a vintage car and bike show at Bamford for Sunday, so we decided we’d visit there on Sunday. We were both hungry again by the time we arrived in Castleton so it was time to eat (again) and off we trot to The Bulls Head. I had the gammon (my usual), Alan had a “Blue Burger” (he doesn’t do usual’s…he likes to try everything on the menu). Alfie awoke before dinner was served so I fed him – dinner arrived half way through Alfie’s feed so Alan ate his first then took over feeding Alfie whilst I ate mine – it’s what we do at home and it works for us!

After dinner, we went to the Information centre in Castleton to buy something for his memory box. Alfie was being a mummy’s boy so I carried him around. Everyone, especially the women cooed over him – which is lovely it makes me feel so proud and happy. We bought a colour in picture of Castleton and a magnet of the Lancaster Bomber flying over Ladybower. After this, we head back to the car and set off home. A lovely day was had by all of us even if Alfie was a little unsettled.
Alan & Alfie at Ladybowe. Alfie's enjoying a spot of lunch
[SUNDAY]
Can you believe my little man slept 5 hours straight last night! No, neither can we! I’m a great believer in fresh air inducing the best night’s sleep – think Alfie proved my theory! We set off at lunch time after sorting Alfie’s stuff out (I remembered jacket, blanket and socks this time! Didn’t forget a thing!) and getting him settled. This time, Alan didn’t piss about and drove the way he knows best…over the Stines (he had been warned!!)

We got to Bamford just in time for Alfie’s feed (we’re demand feeding for those who are interested but Alfie usually goes 2.5-3 hours atm) we fed him in the car where it was shaded, got him settled in his pram with the brolly giving him plenty of shade and set off walking across the field to look at all the lovely vintage cars (you’ll have to excuse my sad hobbies from time to time!). Although he had been fed, changed and burped Alfie wouldn’t settle, it didn’t take long to work out what the problem was though…the nosey little bugger couldn’t see. What’s more, he couldn’t see ME. He has a thing for looking for me. His eyes follow me when I leave a room and Alan has to crane his arm to feed Alfie because he’s always looking at me. More proof we have a mummy’s boy! Once I was in eye shot…he fell asleep no problem. There were some beauties at the car show. My favourites included a 1951 Bentley Mark VI, a couple of Morris Minors and a couple of stunning E Type Jags. I’ll not bore you with any other details.

The car show was pretty small so we only stayed an hour before heading back into Castleton for the second time this weekend. Alan forgot to take some cash out of the bank before we set off which of course meant that parking would be difficult so we did the only thing we could do. We parked in The Bulls Head patrons car park and headed inside for lunch. We both had Sunday lunch (chicken, if you must know) and again we took it in turns eating/feeding Alfie.

After lunch Alfie settled really well so we had a lovely leisurely stroll around Castleton. If you’ve ever been to Castleton you’ll know it doesn’t take long to walk around but there’s loads to take in and plenty of breath taking views. We went back to the car after our stroll and set off home. Alan decided to go the “long” way so we drove past the Devils Arse (search it if you don’t know) and through Winnats Pass. We drove over the Strines and back home after another gorgeous family day out. We’ve been home since 5:30pm and after his feeds, Alfie is now fast a kip in his swing looking very perfect and angelic (sticking his tongue out and snoring!).
Alfie just after his bottle at the car show

Our first family weekend out and it has been simply beautiful. The weather has been gorgeous, the places we’ve visited beautiful, the food was divine (both picnic and pub lunches), the views spectacular, the driving comfortable and the company perfect in every single way. Here’s to many more wonderful family outings! Family life ROCKS!!!
Thanks for reading lovelies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment