Saturday 20 August 2011

Time Flies

As I type this, my beautiful baby boy is asleep next to me on the sofa (I won’t mention how it took me an hour to get him to have a nap!!!) and he still manages to take my breath away.  I think he’ll do that to me forever.  I always knew I’d love him more than anything but from the first time I saw him, my heart swelled with love and it’s been doing it since the day he was born.  I hate the expression, “words cannot express” because to me, it seems like a cop out but on this occasion, words on their own don’t even come close to expressing how much I love him.
 
In just ten days Alfie will be three months old.  THREE MONTHS.  Where the hell did all that time go?!  I can’t quite believe how quickly time has gone by [warning cliché alert!] it seems like only yesterday he was born.  Aside from his health problems it’s been a wonderful [almost] three months and I have loved every single second – including the not so good days.  He is developing and growing up so quickly, I’m scared to blink just in case I miss something.  He can almost roll over from his back to his tummy and tries quite frequently.  He can hold his head up with no problems when he’s having tummy time or sat on my knee.  He smiles, laughs and chats away to himself or me.  Over the last couple of days, he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth – toys, bibs, clothes, hands, blankets…you name it he’ll have a good old chew on it!

Our health visitor Nicola has said she recommends we wean Alfie at 16-20 weeks because of his size; milk alone won’t satisfy him for much longer.  WHO (World Health Organisation) don’t recommend weaning before 6 months unless for medical reasons.  I was quite shocked that our health visitor thinks we should consider weaning so early considering the guidelines for weaning.  I always said I would wean at 6 months but I will take Alfie’s cue for when he’s ready.  I’ve done a little bit of research into weaning and it’s a complete mine field!  It seems there are two types of weaning, pureed foods either shop bought jars or homemade or BLW (baby led weaning).  Baby led weaning is what we wanted to do but it isn’t recommended until 6 months.  BLW is when you give your child sticks or bits of food and they feed themselves if and when they are ready.  It can be messy but it helps develop good hand eye coordination and helps them interact with the family at meal times.  If we do have to wean Alfie at 16-20 weeks, obviously I’ll give him pureed food until he’s old enough for BLW.  We made the decision when I was pregnant that Alfie would eat whatever we eat (healthy foods only, obviously!) plenty of fruit and veg.  I’m playing the weaning thing by ear, I’m sure Alfie will let me know when it’s time as much as I’d like to wait until he’s 6 month if he needs it to be earlier, so be it.

On another matter, it seems like everyone is having babies or getting pregnant now.  I’m sure 2011/12 will be considered baby boom years!  I have a friend who is due early September, a friend who’s girlfriend is scheduled to have their twins next Wednesday, Alan’s workmate’s girlfriend who was induced yesterday (no news as yet), a friend who had her little girl on Thursday and loads of friends who are pregnant.  If that doesn’t make you broody, I don’t know what does!  I think Alan has worked out I don’t want to rule out having other babies just yet and whilst he isn’t jumping for joy at the idea he hasn’t said no and if he has, I haven’t been listening to him!  Obviously I don’t want another baby just yet; I’m enjoying my time with Alfie first but in a few years I would seriously consider it.  Maybe.  Anyway for all those mummies who are waiting for their babies to arrive, good luck, best wishes and lots of love – welcome to mummyhood it’s the nicest job in the world.


2 comments:

  1. We did baby led weaning, it's safe to start this whenyour child can sit unaided. It's great as it means you and your partner can eat meals at the SAME TIME as the baby is quite content 'feeding' himself :)
    We started with things like porridge made thick so you can roll it into balls, cheesy veg muffins and soft fruit/cooked veg. A lot ends up on the floor at first so a little help with a spoon is maybe required!
    And yes-they might gag a few times but that's very different to 'choking' which is what puts many people off!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Christie wanted to do BLW but Cassie couldnt 100% sit up fully on her own but milk wasnt satisfying her. You have to go with what Alfie will feel right xx

    ReplyDelete