Sunday 14 August 2011

Baby Wearing - Victoria The Sling Lady Review

Friday morning, Alfie’s new sling arrived in the post.  I had, had the wraps made by Victoria The Sling Lady recommended to me by a friend on Twitter.  I “liked” Victoria’s page on Facebook and began reading all the wonderful comments and seeing all the beautiful photographs of women AND men wearing their baby.  Before coming across Victoria’s website, I had actually never heard of the term “baby wearing” – I had always called it carrying.  When Alfie was born, we bought a sturdy carrier from Babies R Us (I love my bear sling) which is cute but not very comfortable for myself or for Alfie for a long period of time.  Also, with Alfie being quite a big baby he barely fits in the carrier now!  He’s a very nosey baby so sometimes, being in the pushchair simply won’t do!  We went for a long walk around Ladybower lake in the Peak District a few weeks ago and he cried the whole way around in his pram and was only happy when he was being carried (in arms, not the carrier we didn’t have it with us).  He is also a very fussy baby and likes to be near me lots which I love but sometimes it’s a little difficult carrying him everywhere!

I talked to Alan about buying the sling and he was all for it – he’s a hands on daddy and loves the idea of baby wearing.  After much consideration, I decided to go for a panel wrap – the panel wraps are different funky materials / designs in the centre of the wrap.  The other option is plain or patterned material.  So next was do we go for a sturdy or stretchy sling material?  We decided sturdy because of Alfie’s size and weight, he would fit fine in a stretchy sling but it probably wouldn’t last us as long and we’d need to buy a sturdy one.  My decision was made and I placed my order late Monday night: sturdy turquoise wrap with “dino dudes” panel.  I couldn’t wait for the wrap to arrive and I spent the rest of the week reading up on baby wearing, watching the instruction videos on Victoria’s website and looking at which wrap I could buy next!

So, as I said the sling arrived Friday morning and as soon as it came, I tried it on!  Luckily Alfie was awake so once I had mastered it with the doll, I proceeded to put Alfie in the sling in the “frog leg” position.  I couldn’t believe I had managed not only to tie the sling properly and securely first time but I had managed to put Alfie in it with no problems at all!  Alan had been on the night shift so he was in bed but due to wake up so we decided to give him a helping hand in waking up and went to show off our sling!  He loved it! 
Saturday saw us really test out the sling; I took Alfie to town in it!  Alan dropped us off in town and away we went.  I tied the sling at home and so when it came to getting out of the car, I just popped Alfie in and off we went on our shopping trip!  I visited Alan’s mum and nan on their cake stall and they were impressed at how funky the sling was!  I met my mum for a cuppa and a natter wearing Alfie and did a little shopping too!  It was so easy and carrying him in the sling meant I had two hands free to carry shopping, drink a cuppa, answer my phone and the best bit of all cuddle my gorgeous boy lots!  I had the pram with us for back up, just in case a full day in the sling wasn’t for Alfie but the only time I used the pram was when we got on the bus home and that’s because it saved me folding it up and carrying it on (which I could have done but was too lazy to!). 

Victoria’s slings are not only beautiful but they are practical too!  I’ve had Alfie in mine this morning as I pegged the washing out and did the dusting and vacuuming.  For women (and men) with other children as well as babies the slings are ideal because you can cuddle your baby AND still have your hands free for your other children.  I was slightly worried before I bought my sling that I wouldn’t tie it properly or tight enough to hold Alfie.  I had no need to be concerned, Victoria’s “how to” videos are great!  She shows you how to tie the wrap and how to put baby into the different positions, including a great position for breastfeeding mummies!  I tied the sling with ease after watching her videos and now I have the hang of it and just do it on auto pilot!  I have tried to “frog leg” position and the “foetal feet” position with Alfie and he is comfortable in both.  I thought his weight may be an issue for me as I’m quite petite and carrying his 16lb 11oz (or probably more now) body around all day may be stressful for my body but the weight is distributed perfectly.  Victoria explains the wider you wear the shoulder “straps” the more comfortable it is for you and I can confirm this really does work!  I could literally carry Alfie around all day which is great for days out because we don’t have to lug a pram around with us meaning we’re free to go more places (like with lots of steps or places that don’t allow prams which lots of museums don’t)
My verdict: 5***** - 10/10 - Fantastic! 
I would recommend Victoria’s slings to ANY mummy or daddy.  Tying them is easy, putting baby in them is easy and baby wearing is simply divine!  The designs are suitable for girls and boys should you go for a panel OR a plain sling.  My only wish?  That I’d known about Victoria before Alfie was born so I could have tried baby wearing from the start!  Now to decide which sling I’m buying next…

Check out Victoria The Sling Lady's website here
Like Victoria The Sling Lady on facebook here
Alfie and I ready for anything! 
I don't know how I coped without my sling!

No comments:

Post a Comment