Friday 19 August 2011

A Mothers Instincts


The one thing I’ve learnt about being a mummy is to trust my instinct because it’s usually right.  Having a baby grow inside you for 9 months, bringing him/her into the world either naturally or not, having that first cuddle, the first feed (breast or bottle) even the first nappy change.  Your baby knows you better than anyone because you’ve been with him for 9 months, nurturing him, talking to him, loving him.  All of this more importantly means that you know your baby better than anyone.  Forget the experts; forget what other mums say/do ultimately YOU know your baby better than anyone in this world.  Of course you can listen to advice but when it comes down to it, the decision will always be yours.

I have been “in tune” with Alfie since day POP, the day I found out I was pregnant but I became even more in tune with him when I first felt him move and then even more so when I went into early labour at 27+ weeks (luckily it was stopped) and continued to go into and out of early labour for the rest of my pregnancy (41 weeks).  I knew then he was going to be a fussy baby, not that I minded.

This week, Alfie has been very ill with a high temperature and had I listened to someone else’s advice instead of following my own instinct, things could have gotten a lot worse.  Being a new mummy, I always ask other people’s opinions but in the end, I make up my own mind and this week was the perfect example.  Tuesday night Alfie was extremely fussy and got up every couple of hours which isn’t like him he’s a twice a night max baby.  Wednesday morning he fed but didn’t have his usual feed and he slept for a lot longer than usual.  During his afternoon feed, I noticed he felt hot so I took his temperature which was 38.3°C.  This is considered high for a baby of his age, I was fully aware of this.  I gave him some Calpol to help bring the temperature down then I tried getting through to my doctor’s office but as usual, the phone was engaged every time I hit re dial.  I gave it a couple of minutes and I text a couple of people I know to ask their advice.  Each of them said it was normal or he was teething or just to keep an eye on him but every one of them said I was over reacting calling the doctor.  I didn’t agree so I called the doctor again who asked us to go straight down with Alfie.

We were seen within minutes of arriving at the surgery and checking in at reception.  The doctor we saw was one of the doctors I have seen myself from being a baby so I trusted her advice completely.  She touched Alfie’s skin and commented how hot and clammy he was.  She checked him over, tummy, throat, ears etc. and checked his temperature again this time it was 38.8°C.  She was quite alarmed at this especially as he had been off his milk all day, very sleepy and generally quite miserable for Alfie and referred us straight to the Children’s Assessment Unit at Barnsley hospital.  We were told to go straight there and not to bother going home for anything, it was important we got him to hospital as soon as possible.  I was already worried but the sound of urgency in our doctors’ voice concerned me even more.

We arrived at the hospital where he was checked over by a nurse a doctor and a registrar.  Alfie’s heart rate was quite fast but I was assured this was because he wasn’t feeling well and they would keep checking it to make sure everything was well.  Thankfully his temperature was coming down with the Calpol and undressing him to his nappy.  They wanted to do blood tests to work out the cause of infection and temperature but he has “chubby hands” and finding a vein would be “near impossible” said the doctor.  They decided not to take blood and to assume he has a throat infection because his throat is “a bit red”.  We were sent home not long after.  I wasn’t happy with this but the doctors assured us it wasn’t anything serious and his temperature was down now so was unlikely to go back up again but if it did, Calpol would work fine.

I made the decision it would be best to stay downstairs that night for ease of access to medicines, milk, cold water and the open door should we need it.  I’m glad we did stay downstairs because his temperature rose to 39°C.  I opened the door, stripped him off completely and administered Calpol (easier said than done giving Calpol to a 12week old baby even with a syringe!).  Since Tuesday his temperature has been up and down and Alfie hasn’t been himself.  We no longer have “open access” to the C.A.U. at hospital so I have made an appointment with our doctor for Alfie to be checked on Monday should he be no better.  Of course, if he gets worse or the Calpol doesn’t take his temperature down I’ll be taking him straight to A&E.

I know my son and although it may be a throat infection, his temperature and current temperament are still an issue.  Our family doctor told me anything above 37.5 should be checked out if it doesn’t go down with paracetamol.  Alfie is still off his milk, still very sleepy, very fussy and now has diarrhoea so I’m keeping an even closer eye on him now. 

No matter who it is, no matter what they tell you always trust your own instincts first when it comes to your baby because as I said, no one knows them better than you.

1 comment:

  1. God! I Wish the hospital would do something so what if he has "chubby hands" theres ways to take blood from a baby surely!

    ReplyDelete