Wednesday 30 March 2011

The story so far...

I'm Amy or sometimes Mrs Lewis if it's the doctors talking to me. I married my husband Alan 20th November 2010. We have been together almost four years. We are expecting our first baby after a long time TTC (trying to conceive) - we found out in September and the pregnancy ride hasn't been an easy one. No serious complications just lots of bad days, hospital stays and a toilet seat neckless.


Baby Lewis is a boy (name undecided), my EDD (estimated due date) is 21/05/2011 - two months away. This date makes me, 32weeks + 4 days today. We both wanted a boy so when we found out at our 20 week scan we were overjoyed and immediately started buying all things blue.


Today, I have just been released from hospital for the third in just over a month. I was admitted at 28weeks with pains which turned out to be contractions which turned out to be early labour (yes you read correctly). I was given a drug to help stop to contractions and steroids to strengthen babys lungs. I was allowed home after 4 days in hospital and was told the next time this happened, they wouldn't be able to stop labour.


I was re admitted on 22nd March (30wk +3) after my midwife struggled to palpate (feel babys position) at a routine antenatal check up. My tummy was tender and hard. I got to the labour ward for checking only to have it confirmed that I was back in labour and 1.5cm dilated. The midwife called the SCBU (special care baby unit) to let them know to expect my baby in the near future. Surely this was it, right? Wrong. The contractions slowed down after 2 days and I was again allowed home.


At a followup appointment yesterday (32wk + 3), the consultant tried to palpate and guess what??? She felt contractions! I was sent up for monitoring and after an hour the midwife admitted me with regular, strong contractions. Third time lucky I hear you say? Depends which way you look at it...I didn't have my baby. The contractions slowed down...AGAIN.


I decided to track my progress from here on in, so when he finally does come my baby boy can read (obviously not straight away...give him a few weeks before he can read!!) how much he put me through before he was even here. I'm not panicking over him coming early anymore, the hospital have assured me baby will be OK if born now he isn't tiny or ill...just really impatient!


Just arrived home this afternoon around 3ish, the hubby is in bed as he's working nights tonight and needs to sleep before his shift. The plan is to relax for now...until the contractions start again and trust me...they will!

No comments:

Post a Comment